Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Basics about Denim......What You NEED to Know

I have had a love affair with denim for as long as I can remember.  I have over 26 pairs of jeans; I have given away a ton to my girlfriends just to make myself feel better.  Denim is sexy, sophisticated, sensual, and savvy.  Denim can make me feel like the hottest girl walking the planet. If you buy the wrong style and fit for your body you could end up looking like a puff-a-lump, stick figure or down right dawdy!  Let's get started!

The skinny jean exploded onto our scene about six years ago.  When I first saw the skinny I screamed, "NO!"  I have since embraced it. Does that mean I wear it? Not really.  I am your classic pear; heavier on bottom, small waist, and the only thing that saves me is broad shoulders. The skinny jean is not a great chose for the pair shaped lady. Embrace the skinny if you your legs are longer than Shrek's and you are skinny to moderate in weight.  If you are a plus size this is a no!  Skinny's look great with heels, flip flops, boots, and booties too!  The Western Bootie would be a hot look paired with the skinny for our twenty, thirty and forty somethings. 

Whatever you do, stay away from the jegging!  Yes, it is what you think it is; a jean that fits like a legging.  This look is for the tweens and teens. Please listen to me on this! If you are early twenties you can get away with it, but everyone else, be scared, and I mean very scared.

I am a HUGE fan of the straight leg.  The straight leg jean works on almost anyone.  If you are shaped like a box, no waist, do not and I repeat, do not, go for a low rise straight leg. For that matter if you are box shaped stay away from any low rise. If you are box shaped, which translates to no waist, up and down, any low rise pant or jean makes you look even boxier, and gives the allusion you have no rear.  Go for higher waisted.

So, the straight leg is just a little more giving then the skinny as far as needing that perfect body, which very few of us have.  It can still be tight, and if you want to exude sex appeal go for tight. 

I am a supporter of the flare and the boot cut.  These two styles are extrememly flattering for the pear shape and plus size person.  I am sure you can guess why; the bottom of the jean is flared and in turn it makes your hips look smaller.  I love love love this jean! 

This fall the patched jean has reared it's unnecessary head.  Just please stay away from this fad unless you are in your twenties.  I am all for a few rips, but patches? No!  It is a young look, will be out before we know it and one we can pass by!

The cargo jean is hot!  I love a baggy cargo.  Put that cargo jean with a white tank, loose or tight, and throw your leather jacket I told you to buy on, slip your feet into some stilletos, and you will be screaming, "I am hip, hot, up to date, and so savvy!"  What I just described is a great look for any age! 

The Tuxedo jean is a fad, let it go by, unless you have extra cash, no hips, and am prepared to wear the look once because you will never want to wear it again.  The tuxedo jean would be great to club in, but not a great every day look.

I love the trouser jean.  The trouser jean is sophisticated and worthy enough to make it to your closet.  Wear the classics with the trouser: button down shirt and a classic jacket or even a blazer. 

In the end, it is all about pleasing you.  Remember this is just a guide; you rock your fabulous self with whatever styles, colors and fits you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment